Monday, May 23, 2011

Gym Anxiety and Motivation Deficiency: Totally Curable Conditions

Ok, I’m going to tell you a story about this woman I know who was not overweight, but in pitiful physical condition. I, I mean SHE, couldn’t run around the block much less 5K like her friends. This woman had terrible gym anxiety. The weights, cardio machines, benches, and contraptions were intimidating. This anxiety translated into really limited workouts; 20-30 minutes on the elliptical machine or treadmill a couple of times a week…..that was about it.
So, how does a person get over these mental and physical hurdles? My answer was a personal trainer. In just 6 weeks of working with a Philip Nation twice a week, I was getting a solid, well rounded workout. And probably the most valuable lesson learned after 12 weeks was that I am stronger and can do a lot more than I ever thought I could. How many times did I say “I don’t think I can pick that up”? His response: “just try it”. Almost every time, he was right.
Today I am running 2 miles 2-3 times per week and strength training 2 times per week. My favorite jeans fit beautifully, and that muffin top is almost goneJ
Is it pricy? Yes. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY WORTH EVERY PENNY!!
How do you get started with a personal trainer? I’ll start by recommending my personal trainer Philip Nation. Yes the story above is about me, and Philip is responsible for my improved strength, cardio endurance, and confidence.
Check out Body Masters Fitness & Training. I love this place! The membership is affordable, and it is far and away the cleanest gym I’ve ever been in.  And they can help connect you with a trainer that can meet your needs.
Another option is a local boot camp. I recommend Tulsa Adventure Bood Camp.  It's a lot of fun and appropriate for all fitness levels.
If you’re more self-motivated than I, get some friends together and try a Couch to 5K program.  

Invest in your fitness. You are totally worth it, and it WILL pay off in the long run.
**I have not received any compensation for these endorsements. They are just great people, places, services!

No comments:

Post a Comment